Education & Events
ABA Managing the Bank's Investment Portfolio
Managing the Bank's Investment Portfolio provides participants with the key concepts needed to effectively manage the bank's portfolio. This is a 5 week course.
Audience: This course is designed for individuals managing the bank's investment portfolio.
After successfully completing this program, you will be able to:
- Identify the key characteristics of common investment instruments
- Calculate the yield on those instruments
- Describe regulatory and accounting restrictions on the bank's investment portfolio
- Identify all of the elements that should be included in the bank's investment policy and formulate such a policy
- Compare the benefits and risk of various investment strategies
- Evaluate the comparative return of taxable and tax-exempt securities
- Evaluate total return and option-adjusted spreads on instruments with prepayment risk
ABA Online course
Member Price: $890 w/textbook, $660 w/o textbook **
Nonmember Price: $1140 w/textbook, $870 w/o textbook **
** If you already have a copy of the textbook, be sure to register using the "without textbook" option.
Textbook: Bank Management, 8th Edition, by Timothy W. Koch and S. Scott MacDonald, 2014, Thomson Learning
Prerequisites: Participants will need access to the individuals who manage their bank's investment portfolio and the information they use in this process. Participants should also have a basic familiarity with financial markets and financial instruments. This class uses a number of mathematical concepts and calculations to manage the investment portfolio.
Required Software: Microsoft Excel, Adobe Acrobat Reader
Course Credits: ABA Certifications: 8.0 CERP
Questions? Contact Susan Clark at the IBA at 317/387-9380.
There is a full refund for any cancellations or transfers made before the start of the class and upon the return of the textbook to ABA. Refunds will be made (less $100 cancellation fee) if received within 10 business days from the start of course and the return of the textbook if applicable. Please include your packing slip or order number with the return of your textbook. You may request a transfer only once with a fee of $100. There are no refunds for cancellations received more than 10 business days after the start of the class.