Education & Events
ABA Introduction to Trust Products and Services
Introduction to Trust Products and Services is a five-week program that is a foundational, skill building course for trust professionals. It will help new trust professionals understand the fundamentals of the business, how a trust works, the types of assets commonly held in a trust and the basics of estate planning. The course describes the personal trust document and the process by which trust officers establish a trust for their clients.
Audience: Those employees who have recently joined the trust department in support positions, non-trust personnel within the bank who work with trust officers and trust clients, as well as employees of service providers to trust companies who want to develop a better understanding of their clients' business needs.
After successfully completing this program, you will be able to:
- Determine what an estate is
- Understand the estate planning process
- Explain federal estate taxation
- Distinguish between personal and real property
- Compare forms of property ownership
- List the methods of property transfer
- Contrast the forms of business ownership
- Distinguish types of trusts
- Compare testamentary and living trusts
- Describe the characteristics of a good trustee
- Describe the reasons for creating an irrevocable trust
- Explain the structure of an A/B trust plan
- Recognize the mechanics of an irrevocable life insurance trust
- Contrast the various types of charitable trusts
- Describe the dispositive provisions of a trust before and after the grantor's demise
- Analyze trustee vacancy and cotrustee considerations
- Understand the execution of a trust and proof of a trust's existence
- Define and use the terms that appear in bold in the text
ABA Online course
Member Price: $300
Nonmember Price: $375
Textbook: All reading materials are provided online
Required Software: Adobe Acrobat Reader
Course Credits: ABA Professional Certifications: 12 CSOP, CTFA
Questions? Contact Susan Clark at the IBA at 317/387-9380.
There is a full refund for any cancellations or transfers made before the start of the class and upon the return of the textbook to ABA. Refunds will be made (less $100 cancellation fee) if received within 10 business days from the start of course and the return of the textbook if applicable. Please include your packing slip or order number with the return of your textbook. You may request a transfer only once with a fee of $100. There are no refunds for cancellations received more than 10 business days after the start of the class.