Education & Events
ABA Commercial Lending
This 12-week course provides the knowledge and skills required to identify the credit needs of various types of business customers and to sell a "total Banking" relationship. It covers both the technical side of commercial lending and the interpersonal skills required to be a successful loan officer.
Synopsis: This course covers qualitative analysis and how to assess industry risk, market risk and management risk. It also provides an understanding of the role of loan policy and the need to summarize the borrower's various risks into an appropriaate credit risk rating. In addition, it provides guidance on loan structuring and documentation issues in response to the analysis of quantitative and qualitative risks. This includes an overview of key documents, loan agreements and covenants, as well as negotiating and pricing. The course concludes with an introduction to problem loans.
Audience: Commercial and/or business bankers and credit analysts.
After completing this course you will be able to:
- Recognize the process and types of information business bankers should acquire during a business development call
- Explain the importance of a credit investigation and describe what it entails
- Identify industry, market, and management risks that can affect a borrower
- Identify the key elements of a credit risk rating
- Describe the loan review process as an independent validation of risk ratings and other commercial lending issues
- Identify borrowing structures and describe their advantages
- Identify sources of repayment that are appropriate for various commercial loan borrowing arrangements and the factors that affect collateral value
- Describe the loan documentation process and requirements
- Identify and explain the loan negotiation process
- identify the costs and causes of problem loans
- Explain the steps in resolving a problem loan
ABA Online course
Member Price: $556 w/ eBook, $565 w/ textbook
Nonmember Price: $681 w/ eBook, $690 w/ textbook
Price includes shipping and/or handling fees.
Textbook: Commercial Lending, 7th Edition, ABA
Prerequisites: Students should take Analyzing Financial Statements prior to this course, or have equivalent work experience
Required Software: Adobe Acrobat Reader
Course Credits: ABA Professional Certifications: 45 CLBB
Questions? Contact Susan Clark at the IBA at 317/387-9380.
There is a full refund for any cancellations or transfers made before the start of the class and upon the return of the textbook to ABA. Refunds will be made (less $100 cancellation fee) if received within 10 business days from the start of course and the return of the textbook if applicable. Please include your packing slip or order number with the return of your textbook. You may request a transfer only once with a fee of $100. There are no refunds for cancellations received more than 10 business days after the start of the class.